Ballinascreen Credit Union has been providing financial services to the people of its common bond since 1968. The common bond currently includes those who live or work within 6 miles of the centre of Ballinascreen parish. The business model is a not-for-profit one and the products are primarily comprised of shares and loans; generating a surplus from funds lent to members which is returned to members in the form of a dividend on shares.
The vision of Ballinascreen Credit Union is “to be the primary financial institution for our members and to bring our services to more people within our common bond”.
The mission of Ballinascreen Credit Union is “to support our members by providing them, on a not-for-profit basis, with quality financial services in a friendly, professional manner so as to help them achieve their financial goals. We seek to provide ultimate member satisfaction whilst maintaining financial stability”.
Summary of Business Aims
The following aims will help the credit union to achieve its overall mission.
- To promote thrift among members and to educate them in the wise use of money
- To provide sources of credit for the benefit of our members at a fair and reasonable rate of interest for provident and productive purposes based primarily on their capacity to repay
- To provide good governance and be regulatory compliant at all times
- To maintain financial viability and to generate surpluses to meet provisioning and reserve requirements
- To ensure that the credit union systems and controls are up-to-date and adequate to enable us to meet the needs of our members in an efficient and professional manner
The values held by Ballinascreen Credit Union are based on the credit union operating principles adopted by the Irish League of Credit Unions. These principles are founded in the philosophy of cooperation and its central values of equality, equity and mutual self-help. These principles include:
- Open and voluntary membership
- Democratic control
- Return on savings and deposits
- Return of surplus to members
- Non-discrimination in race, religion and politics
- Service to members
- Ongoing education
- Co-operation amongst co-operatives
- Social responsibility
Meet the Ballinascreen Credit Union Team